Thursday, January 26, 2006

Al Akhawayn Classes

So classes have started and my schedule isn't bad...no classes Friday, yalla travelling. My classes are taught by a mix of Moroccan, US and Canadian professors but the majority of my classes are with exchange students like Americans haha ironic. In any case I'm impressed with Moroccan students because they are tri-lingual by nature of where they live. They speak Moroccan Arabic at home, are taught French as their 2nd language and use it later for business and government but they also know English well which is used well everywhere. I wish I could be tri-lingual. I speak good English sometimes :), 7th grade French and 1st grade Arabic. Well at least I can speak to children yay!

Anyway, first day of class, not bad, just had 1, had lunch, met more exchange students and we made dinner plans to go into town. So after a nap, cos the altitude makes me tired, me, Cara, Hannah, Brianna, Andrew, Ben, Alex, Dan and Kevin went to the marche for dinner. These guys come from Montana (I've never met anyone from Montana before :) hehe) and they speak pretty good Arabic, good enough to get around. They know Ifrane like the back of their hand so they ordered us hariri (spicy soup), m'simmon (which I'm in love with), dijaj and rice. It was the fullest I've been since I've gotten here. The boys fed us so well. After that Andrew and I went with the guys to this bar called Agumem. We got some beers, Heinekens and POPCORN! ha! What a good bar combination. Unfortunately they were out of shisha (hooka). The guys are here for a year (I can't imagine) so they had lots to tell: hilarious stories of last semester, parties, traveling, getting in trouble. When you're American in a Moroccan university, its so easy to stick out so they were the rebels of last semester and our orientation admin warned us about them too haha. But they were cool. After sliding down ice covered stairs, we made our way home in time for midnight curfew. It was a fun way to celebrate first day of classes and drink to the next 4 months of Moroccan life.

No comments: